On Tuesday, a federal judge ordered the Trump administration to begin issuing visas to some 2 million undocumented immigrants who had already applied for work authorization.
Agency lawyers said they would review those applications to determine if they qualify and start issuing visas.
The move was the latest effort by President Donald Trump’s administration to expand the number of people allowed into the United State under the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program.
The administration has struggled to explain how it came to this point.
Trump has said the program was designed to be temporary, but the Department of Homeland Security said in a statement that the program “continues to operate with a robust set of protections for Americans who are already here and will continue to do so.”
In response, the Obama administration and the immigrant advocacy group American Immigration Lawyers said that it “has repeatedly refused to honor the DREAM Act or to grant relief to people who are lawfully residing in the United Nations or other safe havens.”
The DREAMers are young immigrants who came to the U.S. illegally as children.
Trump promised to end the program in December, but has not yet committed to doing so.