How to stop the immigration executive’s ‘deportation and re-deport’ plan
Posted On August 6, 2021
The Turnbull government is pushing ahead with plans to remove people with no record of migration, which critics say would leave the nation without its most trusted source of jobs.
The move comes after Mr Turnbull announced he would not bring back the controversial “special consideration” visa, which is used by about 10 per cent of people from overseas to stay in Australia, and replace it with a special visa.
But he has stopped short of announcing a new policy, despite the fact that the Government has a mandate to implement a plan to remove the visa.
Mr Turnbull said he wanted to remove “special considerations” for people with a visa, but would not go further until there was a clear plan to do so.
“Special consideration visa holders should be prioritised for resettlement and processing,” Mr Turnbull said.
“The Government will continue to ensure the priority is given to those people with special consideration visas, but will not provide any further details on the plan for the time being.”
Mr Turnbull has also rejected calls to extend special consideration to people with permanent residency visas, a move that would create a bottleneck for other visa holders.
But in a statement, Immigration Minister Scott Morrison said the Government had made significant progress to reform the current system and would continue to support that process.
“Our focus now is to deliver a permanent visa system which will ensure permanent migration for all,” he said.
The immigration executive, who is set to rule on the Government’s proposed “new and improved” visa for about 120 days, has been pushing to end special consideration for people who come to Australia from countries with high rates of asylum seekers, including Syria and Sudan.
Immigration Minister Scott Morris has previously suggested people with the visa should have the right to be referred to the Immigration Department for a “no-brainer” decision, such as an emergency situation.
But Mr Morrison has indicated there would be a process of appeal, which could take more than a year.
“We’ve got a plan that’s been developed to make sure we do the right thing and get people the visa they need,” he told ABC Radio’s 7.30.
Topics:government-and-politics,immigration,international-aid-and/or-trade,international‑law,federal-government,australia,brisbane-4000,southport-4215,warren-0800,nsw,northern-suburbs-0870More stories from South Australia